Tuesday, June 21, 2011

SOGOtP, Day One

I've arranged with one of my friends who is a very neat person to come help me on Thursday -- we're going to be working on the kitchen. This is a huge project; OI has wanted to rearrange everything in the kitchen for months, as right now it's cluttered and the counters are almost always full. I don't want to go to a minimalist approach with it, but getting rid of some things and tucking away others would be a good idea.

My friend is a great motivator, and won't be afraid to push me to get things done or get rid of something that probably should be thrown away. Sometimes I get so used to seeing things as they are that I don't see why they should change, so having someone I can ask advice about will be a huge help.

If we manage to get the whole kitchen redone, I'm going to be pretty happy with myself!



2 Points: I did some more laundry today (only one load), and in the process I've been sorting through all my clothes that I like and want to keep, but don't necessarily want to wear right now. (One point for the laundry, one point for filling a storage bag.) I've got a full bag of clothes that can happily go into storage until I have a use for them. I've also put a bunch of my winter clothes away as well. I can keep some of them out, since it does tend to get chilly around here occasionally, but I don't need ten plus heavier-weight sweaters in June!

As the weather changes, I'll swap out the 'active' clothes. Also when a shirt (or any clothing item, really) becomes unusable I can grab a 'new' shirt from the ones in storage. A lot of what I have are t-shirts with logos, graphics, or other such things that make them frankly unsuitable for donating or selling at a garage sale. Volunteering at a used-clothing storefront for a domestic violence shelter has taught me people simply do not buy them, so they're thrown away or the volunteers take them home. The logo shirts I have were given to me over the years by friends and family, so they have some meaning to me -- I'll keep them around until they wear out, and then it's on to the next one!

(One notable exception to this rule is my socks. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a knitter, particularly of socks, and so anything handknit that's not specifically for wintertime will be kept in the 'active' pile. Yeah, I knit my own socks. What.)

No comments:

Post a Comment