Monday, June 20, 2011

SOGOtP, Day Zero

Here goes nothing.

I had a wild idea some time ago (right around the time I made this Ask.Me post) about setting up a points system to help me actually get things done around the house. This met with procrastinative success -- I conceived the idea in April, and I just today got it started. I'm using a few semi-modified ideas from that post's comments to get this done.

The OI is gone for about a week, and has zero knowledge of this project. I should have time to accomplish a great deal if I nut up and actually get things done instead of sitting on my ass. By the time OI returns, the house should look much cleaner and be a very nice surprise/welcome home present.

The Rules (such as they are):

I'm tracking the points progress through the calendar in the kitchen; every time I do something worthy of earning points, a hashmark goes on the calendar for the day. Certain things are worth more points, depending on how difficult or time-consuming they are and how much I loathe doing them. Some are worth more because they don't need to be done frequently, but when they are it's worth recognizing. Some are worth less because they should be done every day.

Day Zero:
1 Point: I put all the clean dishes in the kitchen away. In the future this will be rolled into doing the dishes themselves, because putting them away is sort of necessary. (I also did a tiny bit of tidying up that's not nearly worth a point.)

2 Points: Two loads of laundry. This includes folding and putting them away. It doesn't count if I sort of scrunch them up and stuff them into a drawer/closet/convenient corner -- they have to be put away. Gentle-cycle loads are smaller than normal loads, but end up being line-dried so count as a point even though there are fewer clothes.




I have a few large-scale projects that can be broken down into different parts. Cleaning up the kitchen is a good example; the first order of business will be taking the way-too-many coffee mugs, utensils, and drinking glasses, and putting a majority of them into storage, thus freeing up room to put other things away that right now have to sit on the counter or seriously clutter up the drawers/shelves. Each of these (mugs, glasses, utensils) count as their own point once they're put away, and contribute in the end to the completion of the Kitchen Project (which overall will be worth a ton of points).

Another future post will describe the projects including breakdowns of larger ones, and my reasons for their point values. I have no idea what these points will eventually be used for, except possibly a reward system of buying something I want but really do not need.

Shit or get off the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment