Friday, June 24, 2011

SOGOtP, Day Two (and three)

Wednesday saw me do absolutely nothing, which is okay because I did a bunch of things with some friends that I don't often get to see outside of the weekend.

20 (!) Points...

Thursday, however... oh boy. From 1600 to 2000 (that's 4-8pm for you non-24-hour-time folks) I was in my kitchen. OI's friend came over and we cleared off all the counters, then started taking things out of the cupboards above the counter. At least half of the coffee mugs were put into storage; three ended up in the trash owing to an accident breaking a few. I liked that big clay one, too. Many of the old drinking glasses were tossed because of cracks in the bottom. I remember we stopped using them because they would leak.

Half of the spices in the house are gone. Some of the jars will be recycled, some are being kept, but once a spice/herb smells like dust, it's time for it to go. I can always buy more, and they'll taste better.

We have two completely different tableware settings in the house. I moved the one we haven't used in years to the 'active' spot and put the others on the top shelf.

Anything that's worth keeping but we don't have room for has been put into storage. In my first post I linked the Ask.MetaFilter question I asked a couple months ago. I've adapted one of the suggestions to this: mugs and cups and silverware are put into boxes that are easily accessible int he storage area in the house. If we have need for more than eight place settings, we can pull them out. If a mug is broken, we can pull a new one out to replace it. If OI would rather have Mug X instead of Mug Y, he's welcome to swap them out. Every few months, we can change things up and use the other place settings. What's the use in having these pretty things if they can't be seen?!

The spices that are being kept still look a bit haphazard, but they're a lot more visible than before. Some of the ones I had I realized I have never used at all, which is sort of sad when I think about it. Hopefully this will give me the impetus to actually use more of them now!

OI got home late tonight. He was very surprised, and very tired from his trip -- I'll post his reactions tomorrow when I have the time. He agrees that there is a lot of work left to do but we have plenty of space to use to finish the job and I'm kind of looking forward to it in a sick, masochistic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment